Wednesday 14 August 2013

Czeching in...

I think by now it should be quite apparent that I will be using the word Czech in as many punny ways as I can. For that I make no apology. Puns are there for the taking.

It has been a couple of weeks since I started this blog. I had such grand ideas and high hopes...yet it didn't take long for the neglect to set in. For that I do make apology. I could list a hundred excuses, a hundred reasons why, and make a hundred apologies. I won't though. Suffice it to say, I was busy, and playing host. 

I guess the biggest news is I moved house. I spent just under three weeks living above Mundos, and was glad to leave (for the more astute of you readers, that gives some clue as to where I work). Don't get me wrong, my room was nice. En-suite, large bed, lots of space. What more could I want? How about plates and cutlery? Rumour has it a former resident of the hotel (technically former hotel) made off with a lot of the kitchenware upon moving out. Rumour, however, can't be relied on or used as evidence. It grew very wearisome having to wash up a bowl everytime I wanted breakfast. This doesn't even take into account those days where I shimmied on downstairs to the kitchen, fetched the milk from the fridge and the bag of cereal from the cupboard only to be confronted by a distinct lack of bowls, clean or no. I am not ashamed to admit to having resorted to washing up an empty Häagen-Dazs tub and using it in place of a bowl. It wasn't glamourous by any stretch of the imagination, but by golly it got the job done.

That isn't to say that moving into my new place has been without its problems. It has been recently refurbished, the rent is about 2,000 crowns cheaper, but it lacks a few things. Furniture for one. I mean, yes, I have a bed, desk, clothes hanging rack, bedside table, and chest of drawers. But in the living space, there is nothing. A table and chairs (two of which have been commandeered to serve as desk chairs), an ironing board, and an iron. That is it. No sofa. The room just looks empty. We also have no mirror. I actually had to get Mathilde to finish shaving me last time I shaved. One colleague shaves in the lift on the way to work. Now, we have been reliably informed that we will all be getting mirrors, the only question is when. Until then I will make do with my small mirror from Tesco (yes, we have Tesco here) that fell apart when I dropped it on the floor. 

We do, however, have really nice knives, plates, forks, tea spoons, cups, mugs, saucers and small plates. However, upon breaking my fast the first morning here (Saturday August 3rd) I had flashbacks of the not so distant past, pacnicking whilst coming to the realisation that I would need to eat my cereal in one of those strange deep plates that isn't quite a plate, but definitely isn't a bowl either. I remedied this situation as soon as I possibly could. 

But, all in all, I am pleased with the new place. It is really nice, closer to Tesco, closer to work, closer to the station, and closer to the kebab shop. The kebabs here are comparable to those of Germany. They will do the job, and are certainly far superior to the garbage they serve us in the UK. 

I feel like posting some pictures now. As I said, I was amazed to find Tesco here. But it is a welcome sight. There are also a few other familiar faces around who I never would have expected here, Billa and Pennymarkt! I expect to see Lidl everywhere, but Billa? No.

Love it.

My old Austrian friend! It has been too long!

So much has happened in the past two weeks, I don't feel like putting it all in one blog entry, or doing it all tonight. I have studying to be getting on with, although I may have studied myself out for one day. Trying to understand the Pharmaceutical industry, having no background there is tough. 

I imagine I will write something tomrorow about my trip to Prague. There may also be photos. Watch this space, although the chances are, you have already seen them on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. If you want a hand trying to understand pharmaceutical stuff, I'm more than happy to try and help :) I have somehow managed to get a job doing research on behalf of pharma....

    ReplyDelete